Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dream Stories

I dreamed of a flood last night. A quick search into the vast world of "dream meanings" shows a common opinion that a flood dream means something in your life is out of control, overwhelming, negative, relentless. I'm not really a fan of "one-size-fits-all" dream interpretations, but I looked it up because it reminded me of a flood dream I'd had over a year ago - a dream that was very different, but one I remembered in detail and had written down.

I have a few dream stories saved: some incoherent, some vaguely plot-like. Sometimes I remember all the details of a dream and sometimes I don't. This is one I remembered.

Dream Stories

It was flooding. 

The main room of the house had gigantic floor-to-ceiling windows and the water had covered them almost completely. It was like an aquarium where debris swam by instead of fish.
A young man was there, traveling home after a long summer away. He sat on the couch beside her with the TV on, half watching whatever marched across the screen. Children wandered in and out, distracting and defeating conversation. The girl got up to chase one off, then settled on the floor in front of the couch and absentmindedly began rubbing one of the young man’s feet. She dug her fingers into a tight muscle and he let out a quiet breath of appreciation.
She stood to look out the window at the sloshing, slowly receding water. He moved to stretch out on the floor, elbows propped up on a worn cushion. She returned to the floor beside him and he rolled close, nestled his face on her shoulder and placed three light, quick kisses on her neck. His lips left her skin but he didn’t lift his head, and she didn’t turn to look at him. They lay still for several moments. 

The silence continued. The water receded. Then, “Come with me?” he said, and she replied, “Yes.” 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment